Monday 19 November 2012

Slugs and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails....

Boys and literacy is an issue I feel very passionately about. I not only take interest from an educator’s point of view, but as a mother as well. This issue is very personal for me as I have one child, a son. From the time he was very young, my son has loved books and reading. It’s a passion we share. One of our most favorite pastimes is to go to Indigo on a Saturday morning and spend a few hours browsing through the latest titles and picking out a few to bring home. I’m very fortunate that I have a boy who likes to read and has a positive relationship with reading. 


Not all parents are as lucky as I am. For some boys, it’s a real struggle to find any positivity in reading. For many, it’s a chore. It’s high time that boys find a place of comfort with reading and I am so over-the-top grateful and delighted to see that the world of education is standing up and doing something about meeting the needs of boys when it comes to reading. Boys do not always learn the same way as girls; boys often require more social interaction to help them process their ideas. They have different interests; boys tend to prefer non-fiction, action stories, books with humour and illustrations. Boys also respond to reading in a different way; they tend to not connect as emotionally with texts as girls do. All of this (and far more than I can fit into this post!) means that we need to meet boys at their level of need and stop expecting them to conform to how we think reading ‘should’ be. 

John Scieszka is a popular author in my home. His website Guys Read is something my son and I frequent fairly often. I appreciate the information he provides to me as an educator and my son appreciates the section ‘Let’s Get to the Books,’ which provides a fantastic list of boy friendly books. Listen to Scieszka talk briefly about boys and reading.



One of the things that thrills me the most (and worries me a little, but I will get to that later) is the use of graphic novels in our schools. As a teacher, I have seen how they have opened up a whole new world to boys who previously dreaded reading. I have seen my students run to the class library when they see there are new graphic novels on the shelf. They finally connect to reading through material that is relevant to them. As a mother, I love what graphic novels have done for my son. While he has always been a strong reader, the use of illustrations has made him appreciate books so much more. From the time my son was old enough to hold a crayon, drawing has been his greatest passion. From the very start, he has always wanted to be a cartoonist/author and animator. I literally have Rubbermaid bin upon bin filled with my son’s original graphic novels, drawings and stories and I watch him spend hours every week illustrating his beloved characters that he hopes to one day turn into a series. 


My son’s life changed when ‘Diary of a Wimpy Kid’ came out. The two things he loved most, drawing and stories were now blended into one format. As much as my son has always enjoyed reading, graphic novels finally gave him a format where he feels ‘at home’ when it comes to literature and that truly speaks to him in a way that is relevant to his life and interests.  Thank you Jeff Kinney! You have rock star status in my house! See this cut out of the Wimpy Kid with my son? Indigo gave it to him as they know how much he loves the series.

There is one concern I do have about these new literacies in our classrooms. In my teaching practicums I have seen many boys who refuse to read any other genre other than graphic novels or magazines, etc. As much as I want boys to embrace these new genres, I don’t want them to solely focus on them and reject all other forms of literacy. I would be lying if I denied that I do worry that over time, these new literacies will mean the death of  traditional books and the classics in our classroom. To me, that would be just as bad as keeping things the way they have traditionally been and forcing boys to conform. Relying on one form of literacy too much and ignoring others is not good for anyone. There needs to be balance so our students become well rounded readers and can discuss more than just their first choice interest. 

Despite my concerns, I move happily forward and embrace these new literacies with gratitude and support. I have come across some wonderful graphic novels that will allow my students to access literature in a way that works for them. 

Hamlet in Manga
(A graphic novel of Hamlet! I am so excited to make use of this in my reading program one day!)

2 comments:

  1. Your son is a cutie. Look at how happy he is. You can tell he really loves that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Yes, I think he quite cute, but I'm pretty biased, lol. He adores the Wimpy Kid series. They were were life changing for him. He said 'I can write those kind of books.' Up until then he has only seem comics or manga, but nothing that blended a chapter book and drawings.

    ReplyDelete